Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cubbies & Bears

I am absolutely in love with where I live. It's a neighborhood on the Northside of Chicago, nestled between Lincoln Square and Logan Square. There's a lot of personality, furthered by the bevy of small business owners, two of which I do work for.
Grizzly's Lounge was owned by one of these such people; sold odd meats like alligator before closing at some point about two years ago. Several times a week I've walked by this abandoned restaurant with an equal amount of regret and wonder. The entire outside of this corner spot has queer murals outside that I assume only excited the patrons who visited.

From dianadorable
Look at these amazing bears, both terrifying and completely out of place in the urban atmos. "Dining Adventure with Northwoods Flair"

From dianadorable
Only half a block away there's an antique store called Old Saus Resale, owned by an Asian woman named Lee who seems to have a hoarder issue. This clever woman raided Grizzly's and when I went to visit her I found this gem. For under $100 and about twenty minutes of chat I brought it home. The frame is oak, the chalkboard double-sided, and the last specials still written upon it. It's no less then forty pounds, the three block walk home and four flights of stairs tested my triceps.

From dianadorable
I feel like I've got a little piece of my neighborhood to always carry with me, although it causes sore arms when brought about. A mix of art and nostalgia, currently propped up against my wall until I find a home with walls strong enough to hold it. Furry Monster added for reference size. Seems to be growing out his lion cut too fast, there's much more heat and humidity to come in Chicago.

From dianadorable
Not even the furry possum can get his attention. This is my favorite Pierce pose, the one that slayed me so much I brought him home seven years ago this July. I'll celebrate his birthday tomorrow with my own, with a mini cuddle fest before work.
From dianadorable

No comments: